From IRC media [ 16/03/2009 ].
Click to read all other IRC News.
Proton, which was confirmed as the seventh manufacturer to join the Intercontinental Rally Challenge last Thursday (March 12), is likely to make its IRC debut "as soon as possible."
The Malaysian manufacturer has already entered its Satria Neo Super 2000 car on selected international rallies and has also completed initial testing on gravel, the surface used for the next two rounds of the IRC, the Safari Rally in Kenya and the visit to the Azores.
A spokesperson for the team said: "No decisions have been taken but we'd like to get started as soon as possible after the Safari Rally."
Proton joined Abarth, Honda, Mitsubishi, Peugeot Skoda and Volkswagen when it registered for the IRC. It has previously demonstrated the extent of its sporting pedigree when it won the Production Car World Rally Championship in 2002.
The company's decision to contest the IRC was welcomed by Marcello Lotti, the IRC's General Manager. He said: "We're absolutely delighted to welcome Proton into the IRC family, which goes from strength to strength. The new Satria Neo S2000 has already attracted a lot of praise in its short career to date. I have no doubt that Proton will quickly find success on IRC events."