2014 ERC

Welcome to the new RallyeInfo Intercontinental Rally Challenge forum. The archived IRC forum can still be found here.

2014 ERC

Postby Sulland » 04 Nov 2013 23:41

How many rounds will ERC 2014 have, hopefully not more than 8, and 7 counting!
Sulland

Re: 2014 ERC

Postby ChrisB » 05 Nov 2013 12:49

I think it is 12 again, starting with Jänner, followed by Latvia and one more snow event. Why not more than 8? I don't want an overcrowded calendar, but 8 seems a little slim. Though, if that is what you mean, I don't need the eastern European rounds either. Not wishing to offend the friends from CZ and Barum rally, but did we need 5 Eastern rounds? The ideas about the new shape Romania rally sound good, but let's face it, Romania and Croatia this year were rubbish! I couldn't see the character of these events and - again without wanting to offend anyone - seeing that people like Aigner, Arai, Tempestini, someone called Botka etc make the top5, you know that on the sporting side these events are really boring too!

I also find it a mistake that there is no manufacturers championship, so yet another reason for manufacturers not supporting drivers. To be honest, with no makes championship (for us being a car orientated site) but as well these too many Eastern European rounds, I am really wondering if I should report about it next year still. I like the ERC and former IRC and people organising it and some of the events as Ypres, Corsica, San Remo, but with all the statistics, championship tables etc it is quite an effort and with half the events being total rubbish I just don't see it worth the effort. So point, I don't mind the 12 rounds, but please chose the events wisely! This year was like covering a whole season for 3 rallies that were worthwhile. And probably drivers/teams think so too, otherwise they would have come.
ChrisB

Postby Sulland » 17 Nov 2013 08:53

Agree Chris, they need to find the right events, and they need to be 'driver rallies' !

Are all of these that

FIA European Rally Championship 2014 provisional calendar*
01: 31 Int. Jännerrallye, Oberösterreich (Austria), Asphalt/snow, 3-5 January 2014
02: Rally Liepāja (Latvia), Gravel/snow, 31 January-2 February 2014
03: Sibiu Rally Romania, Gravel/snow, 27 February-1 March 2014
04: Acropolis Rally (Greece), Asphalt/gravel, 28-30 March 2014
05: Circuit of Ireland Rally (United Kingdom), Asphalt, 17-19 April 2014
06: 49th SATA Rallye Açores (Portugal), Gravel, 15-17 May 2014
07: Geko Ypres Rally (Belgium), Asphalt, 19-21 June 2014
08: auto24 Rally Estonia (Estonia), Gravel, 17-19 July 2014
09: Barum Czech Rally Zlín (Czech Republic), Asphalt, 29-31 August 2014
10: Cyprus Rally (Cyprus), Asphalt/gravel, 19-21 September 2014
11: Rallye International du Valais (Switzerland), Asphalt/gravel, 23-25 October 2014
12: Giru di Corsica-Tour de Corse (France), Asphalt, 6-8 November 2014**
*Subject to ratification by the FIA World Motor Sport Council
**Subject to the signing of the event promoter agreement

http://www.fiaerc.com/news/detail/id/22 ... r-for-2014

Too many rallies in this economic climate, and the young reputation of the new Euro Rally Champship.

I really hope more drivers also from the nortern part of Europe wil drive ERC, but not convinced. Without any sort of limitation ln the drivers possibility to drive in the WRC, since there is no superlicence concept in rally - ERC will suffer. That is why in my opinion, it is smarter to start off with fewer rallies, create reputation, have deals that the winner gets half a WRC 2 season, paid by a sponsos or something. Inside the FIA system it is much more restrictions compared to IRC's free spirit!!
Sulland

Postby ChrisB » 18 Dec 2013 20:38

To move from ERC to WRC2 seems like moving backwards. What reckognition and career options do you get in WRC2?

Otherwise I agree especially: "Inside the FIA system it is much more restrictions compared to IRC's free spirit!!" - sadly very true.

On the rounds, yeah I see your point with it being too many. But 7 would have been too few. Maybe 10. On the events, I didn't see much in most of the Eastern rounds last year. So again not keen on Liepeja. Romania with the inclusion of that Transfaragasan road could be a good drivers rally, although last year I thought the event was no good. But happy if this turns round. The rest all seem good events. Though Acropolis with that rough gravel clearly is not a drivers event and I am very sad we lost San Remo. Good we lost Croatia.
ChrisB

Postby RonSkoda » 04 Jan 2014 15:51

It seems some of your concerns were rectified for 2014 Chris - the calendar is certainly better and there is a return to a manufacturers championship too.

Looks like this year should be a bit more interesting for ERC with the new cars coming on song and probably 2015 even better still.
RonSkoda

Postby ChrisB » 11 Jan 2014 15:27

Absolutely, Ron. The only downside really is the loss of San Remo, otherwise the 2014 calendar is definitely better than the 2013 one. And even the order of things is better. Romania with Transfaragasan and the possibility of snow should be much improved. Tour de Corse for end of season, well for the real traditionalists (not to say old farts like me) in ERC (before WRC) and up to 1980 the Tour de Corse was always an end of season round, or swapped with the RAC (and in 1979 the Bandama) for end of season show, so it is even a traditional slot.

And makes championship, spot on!
ChrisB

Return to IRC Forum