IRC to merge with ERC

Welcome to the new RallyeInfo Intercontinental Rally Challenge forum. The archived IRC forum can still be found here.

IRC to merge with ERC

Postby Sulland » 30 May 2012 12:27

Any news on the merger ?
Sulland

Re: IRC to merge with ERC

Postby RonSkoda » 02 Jun 2012 13:10

This is supposed to be confirmed soon. It will be interesting to see how it's going to work...
RonSkoda

Postby Sulland » 30 Sep 2012 07:16

Then it is clear. Eurosport will take over as promotor for ERC for the next 10 years. Decided by WMSC.
http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pr ... 80912.aspx

Eurosport then came with this press release, saying IRC will not be run in its current format in 2013. What that mean in detail is hard to say now.
http://www.ircseries.com/news/detail/id/963
So will we see ERC taking all the best events from both series and making that the new ERC, or what ?
Sulland

Postby AndyRAC » 30 Sep 2012 13:59

This could, and should be a good thing. And the whole of Rallying should benefit. Having 2 competing series has never worked - history has proved that; CART v IndyRacingLeague is one example.
The WRC is the Premier series, the new ERC (incorporating the IRC) will be a level below, in the sports heartlands. What direction they go, is anybody's guess, but I hope for something like a 8-10 event Championship - with a good mix of Gravel, Tarmac and a Winter/ snow event. I suppose they'd have the S2000, R5 and maybe even the R -GT cars...???

So, I'd include; Ypres, Zlin, Sanremo, Corse, Valais, Scotland, Cyprus, Arctic, etc

The writing has been on the wall for the IRC this year, with too many 'non descript' events and less than stellar entries.
AndyRAC

Postby Sulland » 30 Sep 2012 22:53

Europe is still the kingpin of rally, and will be for the forseable future. So the ERC should be a strong championship where drivers should get sponsors more easy now that Eurosport is onboard to provide airtime to a large audience.

IMO the ERC should be like a natural stepping stone after the national series for up and coming drivers. With tough rallies on 3 surfaces and large numbers of competitors.
They need to focus on the drivers and not the manufacturers in ERC, they are the heros we follow the sport for, not the cars as such. Even if the technology is facinating.

Done right the ERC should become like British F3 used to be, the place WRC teams spot talents !

R5 looks to be a perfect class for regional series, if the cost is kept down. Simple cars that are manageable for amaterur teams to run and maintain.

2013 and 14 will be eciting seasons as it looks now !
Sulland

Postby ChrisB » 04 Oct 2012 03:57

Sulland wrote:They need to focus on the drivers and not the manufacturers in ERC, they are the heros we follow the sport for, not the cars as such. Even if the technology is facinating.

Well, that is a matter of taste I guess. I for one follow rallying for the cars and the makes, not interested in the drivers. And I know of other people who think that way. Plus the manufacturers develop the cars and bring some of the money. In contrast to that old Quesnel waffle, the IRC would have been a much better series had there been not only Skoda, but also manufacturer involvement by Abarth, Mini, if not Peugeot.

AndyRAC wrote:The writing has been on the wall for the IRC this year, with too many 'non descript' events and less than stellar entries.

Agreed, though. The selection of the IRC rounds this year has been a joke. Acores has character, but Canarias is a bit too much no name to verify the cost of travel, and who said we need all those Eastern European events? Barum is ace, but Yalta was already not good last year, this year Romania, Yalta & Bulgaria were events we could have done without, and the entries prove that, not even Mikkelsen & Wiegand went...

Finally, is it a merger IRC with ERC? The wording of the Eurosport press release is very strange. Reading it back and forwards again, I read it as if there would be an IRC but not (only) with European rounds? I would love to see the IRC survive, but then, looking at Yalta and Bulgaria, stretching it to overseas, who needs a championship without participants?
ChrisB

Postby Sulland » 05 Oct 2012 23:36

If ERC shall become a real championship with a title that gives respect, they need to include events from North, Central and South Europe. ERC also need to have all 3 surfaces, to become a championship for real driver talents!

What events would you like to see?
Sulland

Postby TWRC » 06 Oct 2012 08:53

Sulland wrote:If ERC shall become a real championship with a title that gives respect, they need to include events from North, Central and South Europe. ERC also need to have all 3 surfaces, to become a championship for real driver talents!

What events would you like to see?

Well, I for one, really would love to see the Jänner Rallye as the opening round. It has a great location, similar to the Monte, and always attracts huge crowds and has tons of entries every year - and the atmosphere is great too, so why not? ;)
TWRC

Postby AndyRAC » 06 Oct 2012 10:27

Agree about the Janner, should be in the new ERC. What do the organisers want? The best possible series with challenging & testing events? Or the events that can pay the most? It needs to be a fair mix of gravel & Tarmac, with a snow/winter event.

In theory, it could/ should be a fantastic series......but will it?
AndyRAC

Postby ChrisB » 07 Oct 2012 11:26

ERC Calendar 2012. Jänner already there for the first time in ERC in 2012.

1) 05 - 07 Jan - A - Int. Jänner Rallye
2) 19 - 21 Apr - I - Rallye 1000 Miglia
3) 24 - 26 May - HR - Croatia Rally
4) 08 - 10 Jun - BG - Rally Bulgaria
5) 22 - 24 Jun - B - Geko Ypres Rally
6) 06 - 08 Jul - TR - Bosphorus Rally
7) 26 - 28 Jul - P - Rally Vinho da Madeira
8) 31 Aug - 02 Sep - CZ - Barum Czech rally Zlin
9) 13 - 15 Sep - E - Rally Principe de Asturias
10) 28 - 30 Sep - PL - Rally Poland
11) 12 - 14 Oct - F - Rallye d'Antibes Côte d'Azur
12) 25 - 27 Oct - CH - Rallye International du Valais

I quite like the calendar. Would definitely keep Jänner, 1000 Miglia, Ypres, Madeira, Barum & Valais. Plus a new French round maybe (not Tour de Corse, keep TdC & San Remo for IRC if there is an IRC). I like the Rallye d'Antibes but I heard the organisers don't want to be in ERC any more.

Based on that I would consider dropping some of the eastern rounds (not all, but Croatia, Bulgaria, Turkey, Barum, Poland, the Eastern Euro rounds do not seem to prove popular in IRC & WRC and 5 out of 12 rallies in Eastern Europe is simply too much. Me personally I never liked Asturias for some reason. What is missing is the Northern part of Europe, UK, Sweden (i.e. South Swedish as a summer gravel rally), Finland...

Then, if there is an IRC, it could be good if about half the events are combined. I could like IRC starting with another snow event, i.e. Arctic Rally, then Acores, Circuit of Ireland, Tour de Corse, San Remo for IRC and maybe wishful thinking Safari and NZ.
ChrisB

Postby Sulland » 08 Oct 2012 13:29

Take the poll I threw together on next years ERC calendar.

- You can vote for 10 of 30 suggestions, including a rally of your choice in the bottom.
- 1 vote pr user.
- Expires on 30 Nov.

http://freeonlinesurveys.com/app/showpo ... 8&new=True

Lets see what this poll show show what the fans want to see !

And Chris B: The list is still only in draft form, they have not agreed with all organizers yet!
Sulland

Postby rv65 » 09 Nov 2012 06:32

Eurosport events said that they believe WRC will be the pinnacle of rallying with the ERC to be an affordable championship. This means cheaper rallies and less island events.
rv65

Postby Sulland » 15 Nov 2012 13:13

Maybe this subforum should be renamed ERC or Admin makes a new one for the new ERC series?
Sulland

Postby ChrisB » 16 Nov 2012 00:17

Hi, yes, thought about it. But with the take over there are a lot of things to look into, the renaming IRC in ERC in the systems (not only forums, but championships and stats), with the people behind it basically being the same is not at the top of the list, sorry. But will look into that.
ChrisB

Postby Sulland » 17 Nov 2012 20:33

So maybe just make a new ERC subforum, and keep the IRC one for history for while.
ERC in 2013 will take over as the top regional championship, and deserve its own subforum imo.
Sulland

Return to IRC Forum