Does the ERC use Super 2000 cars only?

Welcome to the new RallyeInfo Intercontinental Rally Challenge forum. The archived IRC forum can still be found here.

Does the ERC use Super 2000 cars only?

Postby johnlod » 14 Feb 2013 01:05

Hi all

I haven't posted for a while as I don't have Eurosport anymore so I haven't seen a rally for over a year.

Two questions:

1) Does the ERC use the same cars as the IRC did i.e. S2000 cars and are these cars turbo or normally aspirated. When I was last active on the forum there was some talk of switching to 1600cc turbo engines.

2) Is there any web-TV channel where I could start to watch rallies again?

John
johnlod

Re: Does the ERC use Super 2000 cars only?

Postby Sulland » 21 Feb 2013 10:05

Same cartypes; S2000 and RRC, and also R5 when they are awailable I guess.

Think Ellegy is out and Eurosport player is the best option.
Sulland

Re: Does the ERC use Super 2000 cars only?

Postby ChrisB » 05 Mar 2013 22:13

Hi Johnlod, and sorry I only reply now. Still busy time, but some things going on behind the scene, including some changes to make the forum busier again soon, hopefully

johnlod wrote:
1) Does the ERC use the same cars as the IRC did i.e. S2000 cars and are these cars turbo or normally aspirated. When I was last active on the forum there was some talk of switching to 1600cc turbo engines.

I guess you know the original IRC rules. In 2012 IRC switched to allow the new S2000 1600T cars in addition to S2000, N4 & R4. Curiously (but quite rightly me thinks) in IRC R4 cars counted for the Production Cup in the same category as N4. It still was quite interesting, as on the asphalt rounds the new FWD Renault Mégane Turbo N4 car proved to be able to beat the Mitsubishis and Subarus. In return at least at Subaru the R4 car seems not faster at all than the N4. The Mégane cannot be homologated into R4 as R4 demands 4x4, while the 4 in the old N4 class only refers to engine capacity above 2000cc, no relation to which wheels are driven.

Add to this a confusion what S2000 1600cc actually is. Some people call them S2000 still, others call them RRC, others R5. There are differences between S2000 1600T (SPC, whatever), RRC & R5, but minor, at the end of the day they are all 1600cc Turbo 4x4 cars in the same FIA Class (2).

While in IRC 2012 only Skoda did a complete season and took most victories, we saw the IRC debut of two S2000 1600T cars at the Tour de Corse with Giandomenico Basso driving a Fiesta RRC and Daniel Sordo driving a car called Mini S2000. On the first leg we saw a brilliant battle between Basso Fiesta RRC, Sordo Mini S2000 & Mikkelsen Fabia S2000, however on the twistier stages the turbos seemed to have a slight edge, Mikkelsen started to fall behind, Basso crashed out and Sordo won. However in the end Basso added victories in San Marino and San remo and Al Attiyah in Cyprus, all in Fiesta RRC. However on Targa Florio Basso was "only" 3rd, showing that not all is lost just yet for atmo S2000 cars.

I may add Mini played a dirty trick on the organisers. Sordo was allowed to start Corsica as an IRC scoring driver only after Mini promised they will enter the IRC as a manufacturer. So Sordo won, got his points, then Mini never entered....

Getting to the point, the ERC took over the exact IRC tech rules as last year. They see R5 cars in similar way as the RRC cars. Only that R5 cars are new for this year. Although all are regarded as cars of the same class, you will this year see 3 different types of Fiesta in the ERC: S2000, RRC & R5!

Peugeot enters Craig Breen & Jérémi Ancien in works Peugeot 207 S2000s at the moment apparently for the sole reason of launching a works effort with the new 208 T16 (to R5 regs, but you can see why Peugeot does not want to market a famous Renault).

What could have been the most interesting aspect is that the ERC (as IRC last year) allows R-GT cars. This could have been majorly exciting, but there are two problems:
1) The FIA being the FIA had to do things their own way. While we have plenty of N-GT cars in national championships, FIA had to change that to R-GT for international rallies. And while this adds homologation costs and while R-GT is not competitive with N-GT, the existing N-GT manufacturers show little interest in R-GT. So far only one manufacturer has homologated an R-GT car, and while there were rumours of Ferrari to join too, so far this has not proved to be more than rumours.
2) Lotus is the one make who has an R-GT, the supercharged V6 Exige S, very exciting car. This car started last year Ypres as course opening car, then after homologation started ERC Madeira. Then Lotus fell into a crisis more or less outside their control, and that was the end to firm ERC 2013 plans.

OK; I think that should have got you up to date.

johnlod wrote:
2) Is there any web-TV channel where I could start to watch rallies again?

John

Well, so far ERC is only on Eurosport and sometimes additional deals are done. Canarias is only on Eurosport I believe, Acores will be on Portuguese RTP as well, including live stages. Then there is the Eurosport player. Still, more than WRC has managed in recent years....
ChrisB

Return to IRC Forum