WRC Academy

Welcome to the new Rallye-Info.com World Rally Championship forum. The archived WRC forum can still be found here.

WRC Academy

Postby rv65 » 02 Aug 2010 19:58

In 2011 the FIA is proposing to scrap J-WRC for a new WRC Academy program, which will use R2 cars instead of the S1600 cars. Yes, the FIA has finally listened to us, and are finally banning the S1600 cars :D. This new series will have about 5 to 6 rounds, and all of them will be in Europe, since it's very expensive for J-WRC teams to travel all around the world, lugging their expensive cars to different locales. Hopefully, this will allow for people to join the J-WRC with real talent and not rich talentless hack's, who really don't know how to drive all that well; however, it's up to the manufacturers to decide. The FIA might even allow for R3 cars, but as long as there are strict cost controls, then it should be fine.
Last edited by rv65 on 25 Nov 2010 02:26, edited 1 time in total.
rv65

Re: J-WRC after 2011

Postby rv65 » 03 Aug 2010 02:18

This might be done in addition to J-WRC, and not as a replacement to J-WRC. This could make the J-WRC more exciting than the WRC, but I don't think Jean Todt would allow that :P.
rv65

Postby ChrisB » 10 Aug 2010 23:10

To be honest I find the whole JWRC a joke. The S1600 cars are kit cars with groupB type freedom. Well, we discussed that already. But I am in fact in favour of only one sub series and do the academy in allowing very similar cars to the WRC into national championships. The new 1600T formula goes into that direction and IRC practices it spot on since the beginning. It would mean guys like Wilslow don’t embarrass themselves with 70 WRCar starts without result (he may still be younger than the youngest WRChampion, but I bet no team manager apart from his own dad wants him any more, because after all this time do you still believe he can improve in your works car like Ogier does?) and as a further bonus it would improve all the national championships too.

OK, maybe I am a little in a dream world, thinking of the BRC highlights when Vatanen, Mikkola, Blomqvist and the likes were regularly mixing it with the British top guys. Also remember when Britain at long last found their stars, Colin McRae and Richard Burns both won the BRC in a car identical to the WRC before they were promoted. I think in fact one reason why so many here are picking on Matt Wilslow is because i.e. already before Colin McRae competed on his first WRC event we knew who he is, and we wondered what he could do, and then soon we wondered what he could do if he swapped his Corsa for a Cosy, and then his Cosy for a 4x4, etc., from the beginning this was exciting, while Wilslow and others since came as a little boy, started 70 rallies in the same car and the results are still the same, which is boring and not how you impress team managers. (OK, he got a little better, after 70 starts he is now no more 5min off the pace but 4min, that means another 280 starts and he is as quick as Loeb, who will be 60 then!)

On the same line we than have to compare what did JWRC deliver. The JWRC supperters will come up with names as Loeb, Sordo, Duval, Wilks, PG, Ogier. Sorry to disappoint, Loeb drove a works Xsara in the French Championship before he was crowned a JWRChamp, clearly meaning he did not become a Citroen works driver for winning JWRC, but he competed JWRC because he was a Citroen works driver! Similar for Ogier! Sordo is not that good. And what about the other JWRChampions? Can you even name them? Sandell was so bad in an S2000 car competing N4s the past 2 seasons that people even forgot he won the JWRC. And where is Bernardi, Tirabassi and the likes today? Yes, Tirabassi won the JWRC, he also won the laughing stock award in IRC. Where is Sola? What could Prokop buy from his title? I mean maybe this is my lapse, but I believe I do know a little bit about rallying, yet I actually had to look it up now to find Prokop is the reining JWRChamp!

Best example to show the value of JWRC is maybe Franky Duval. Do you even remember he drove a Ford Puma in JWRC? He was absolutely useless! So why did Ford still give him a contract? Because like Loeb & Ogier he already had a contract with Ford before JWRC! He had a contract because he used to be a little boy, who in an 8 years old A8 Celica bullied the likes of Bruno Thiry, Pieter Tsjoen & Patrick Snijers in Corolla WRCs in Belgian Championship events!!!! Magic, little boy in old car on national rallies was spotted by Ford WRC team, and that was thanks to him having a comparable car and the Belgian scene having some big names to compare him to! That’s how it worked! That’s how we found El Matador, Didi Auriol, Delecour Le Nutter, Rolling McCrash, Ginger and all them lot! Now we have JWRC and M2 teams and wonder why no-one is there with the talent to bother Loeb since 8 years! Maybe also it is a proof that S1600 is the wrong concept, because Duval was good in the 4x4 Turbo Celica in his early career and he was good (apart from his ear problem not hearing navigators) in WRC, but give him a FWD atmo and he proved nothing at all about his talent in a top car!

Maybe it is also a proof about my old WRC discussion – old could have two meanings here, old discussion pro old style WRC. 16 WRC events is too much! I would rather have 8 WRC events of 700km than 16 WRC events of 350km, because then people would talk about single events, while 16 events, most of them were quickly forgotten and such always prone to be meaningless. We have M2 teams, PWRC, SWRC, so should we even bother with a JWRC, does anyone still notice it exists at all? One sub series would be enough, then a Martin Rowe or a Niall McShea would be more of a hero winning the only sub series, and have stronger national events instead of awards for best ice cream manufacturer etc... I mean once at it, I could rant for ages, Munchies surely makes good ice cream, but they don’t do cars, so why do they get makes points and not Ford instead? This again deludes the value of the manufacturer series, Subaru came 3rd, no, not last, they still do know more about cars than that ice cream manufacturer, LOL, everything deluded.... OK, getting off subject here, but we have examples of too many events, too many sub championships, I think get rid of JWRC, bin the accademy with it, it’s useless. I rather have 40 cars in P/S/R4WRC than 10 in PWRC, 10 in SWRC, 10 in JWRC and 10 in Junior Accademy!
ChrisB

Postby rv65 » 19 Aug 2010 06:17

Next year will only be 13 events, which is enough. The FIA is looking at keeping the events at around 12-14.
rv65

Postby rv65 » 20 Aug 2010 08:15

TotalRally had an interesting comment about rich boys. They felt it was fine for rich kids to drive in the WRC. The commentators said that it's ok for Wilslow to be driving in the WRC as a Gentlemen driver. There are probably a really talented rally driver out there, but they don't have the money to prove their talent.
rv65

Postby M4dmike » 20 Aug 2010 10:28

yeah, it was me who started the whole thing with my comment on the pay drivers. probably should have thought it through a bit more.

on a different note. are the r class cars now just cheap kitcars. or is there a homologation requirement for them. considering that the ds3 r3t is costing 90k euroas a basic package, without the inevitable upgrades ala the c2 r2 max. :shock:
M4dmike

Postby ChrisB » 20 Aug 2010 15:53

Total Rally has a point there. But Wilslow is not what I would call a gentleman driver.

Gentleman drivers, say Villagra, the van Merksteijns, if they have that sorts of money behind them, at least they spend their millions wisely at rallying and not at something dull like soccer or out of public.

But when these people get like top6 placings in WRC events, then it is a disgrace for the WRC, because it shows the sorry state the WRC is in. Interesting is, even though Villagra was 4th in Argentina, these guys won't get the same results in IRC, there are more people with talent, leading to closer, more exciting rallies.

The problem I have with Wilson, he is not a gentleman driver, but a driver like Rautenbach, who still thinks of himself he has the talent for a big career. We also should maybe not be so harsh on Wilson and the fact he is the Ford M-Sport boss son. I doubt it is a case of him taking a place away for a talent to challenge Loeb, I rather have the son drive a car that having yet another car less at all. But again it is the rules. If after 70 WRC starts with these results he still thinks he is the next big thing, then it is maybe a personality problem. Well, if he wasn't there, we would have a car less, or even two, no Stobart Team. But for the M2 teams and publicity direction, I find it an incredible shame everybody talks about Wilson and nobody about for example what Rantanen did in Finland 2008 & 2009, eventually leading into less chances for the exciting drivers as Rantanen.This again is where IRC is better, see how i.e. Hänninen got started in IRC. I bet if Rantanen had invested his money into 2-3 IRC starts instead, he could be a star now, while the WRC ever more seems to turn an amateur championship for rich boys!
ChrisB

Postby rv65 » 10 Sep 2010 22:17

Mirek Fric said that the J-WRC is officially dead after 2011. The WRC Academy will take its place. No championship title and it will be a one make series. This could have been perfect for VW, Hyundai and Suzuki since they have a series, where there is no competition. Thats great since all 3 can't make a good rally car, even if their life depended on it.
rv65

Postby rv65 » 06 Oct 2010 22:25

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... index.html

It's official, J-WRC is dead after 2010 and replaced with a European event only WRC Academy with cheap R2 cars. The age limit is 25 years old, and more information will be made available at Rally Spain. It might be a single makes series, but it sounds like you can use a Twingo R2 or a Fiesta R2. Those are the cars that the FIA are looking into for this academy.
rv65

Postby rv65 » 07 Oct 2010 10:14

It's actually called FIA academy for drivers, and whoever wins the Academy gets to drive in the S-WRC for 2012. I'm pretty sure it's a one makes series with a cheap car such as the Twingo R2 or Fiesta R2. The FIA estimates the budget to be around 150,000 EUR for all 6 events.
rv65

Postby rv65 » 25 Oct 2010 02:43

http://wrc.com/news/new-fia-wrc-academy ... ?fid=13843

Goodbye J-WRC and hello WRC Academy. It's a 6 round championship running Fiesta R2's by M-Sport. Renault tried really hard to get it in, yet Ford was able to win the selection. 6 shootout drivers were chosen, but other drivers will be allowed. Pirelli will supply the tires, and it will cost around 135,000 EUR a season. Other accommodations like recce, travel, and damage crews aren't included. The winner will get a large prize package including a 500,000 EUR scholarship. It won't just be about being a competitive rally driver. It will cover areas of diet, fitness, health, and other guidance, to make you become a famous rally driver.

The shootout was picked by several ex rally drivers including Michele Mouton.

http://wrc.com/video/features/the-wrc-a ... /?vid=1845

The shootout driver list below.

Brendan Reeves New Zealand
Craig Breen Ireland
Andrea Crugnola Italy
Fredrik Ählin Sweden
Jan Cerny Czech Republic
Molly Taylor Australia
rv65

Postby AndyRAC » 25 Oct 2010 07:51

It’s a good idea in prniciple, but it’s still damn expensive. And what a surprise, Ford/ M-Sport get the contract to use the awfully sounding R2 Fiesta. What was wrong with giving a new Manufacturer a go in the WRC? They may decide to join the full WRC – shortsighted comes to mind. So M-Sport are running the WRC’s, S2000’s and now the R2’s – making money is more important than winning the Championship??
AndyRAC

Postby rv65 » 25 Oct 2010 08:28

Renault was that manufacturer that could have joined the full WRC, possibly with a Clio or Megane WRC. Probably a Clio WRC with a 1.6T and 4WD.
rv65

Postby rv65 » 25 Oct 2010 08:33

Then again, Renault was the only manufacturer that applied for the WRC academy.
rv65

Postby Sulland » 25 Oct 2010 21:32

A real shame that Renault was not chosen. We could use another manufacturer getting involved in WRC.

But again, I guess money talk in the inner circles......
Sulland

Postby rv65 » 26 Oct 2010 07:36

The Twingo is probably faster than the Fiesta R2.
rv65

Postby rv65 » 26 Oct 2010 07:56

The WRC Academy is just another Fiesta R2 cup.
rv65

Postby rv65 » 26 Oct 2010 08:02

Originally, there were 5 manufacturers, but that was reduced down to two by rally finland. Then for some reason they picked Ford. Renault was pushing this program like there was no tomorrow, but it was probably a little too late.
rv65

Postby rv65 » 26 Oct 2010 10:08

Molly Taylor looks promising, and she wants to emulate Michele Mouton. She could very well be the first female driver to win the WRC. That would be great.
rv65

Postby ChrisB » 28 Oct 2010 01:07

Yes, this still is expensive, and....
rv65 wrote:It will cover areas of diet, fitness, health, and other guidance, to make you become a famous rally driver.

The shootout was picked by several ex rally drivers including Michele Mouton.

So Timo Salonen wasn't one of them then? LOL
ChrisB

Next

Return to WRC Forum