News and Rumors Open Thread

Welcome to the new Rallye-Info.com World Rally Championship forum. The archived WRC forum can still be found here.

News and Rumors Open Thread

Postby rv65 » 17 Aug 2010 09:44

This is basically an open thread for the latest rumors and news that is going on in the WRC, or in the rally world in General. Since the S1600T topic is mainly getting out of hand with rumors, that really don't point out the new regulations, then it's appropriate to have this thread.

Best Car magazine has pointed out that Toyota will do WRC, but have Lexus do other forms of motorsport. Lexus would do circuit racing, while Toyota does WRC. That very same magazine said that the Toyota marketing people chose the Auris for the WRC, and not the engineering team/ The Auris is a moderately popular car in Europe, and Toyota wants the road car to compete head to head with the Golf in Europe. Sounds like Toyota is pulling a Peugeot and is using a non ideal car. The Yaris could work, and the next generation is supposedly going to get bigger, so that might work for the WRC. That very same magazine said that VW will join the WRC with a Golf, and that the VW marketing team chose that model instead of the lackluster engineers at VW Motorsport in Hangover err Hannover, Germany. This was an expected decision from VW, as they think the marketing department is more important than the Motorsport department.

Edit: That very same magazine mentioned that VW could have used the Polo. The biggest thing is that VW could announce their WRC program as early as Rally Germany. This is also the same time that they will be launching their slightly warmed over Race Touareg 3.

Toyota has looked at DTM, FIA-GT, and Le Mans for Lexus. I think Toyota decided against FIA-GT for Lexus stating that their customer base doesn't know much about it. Lexus will eventually join the DTM, as the DTM and SuperGT are trying to unify the car spec, so that by 2015 both series would use a common car. This would allow more manufacturers into the SuperGT, but Toyota is spending at least 80 million EUR on a primarily Japan only series, with a car that resembles the DTM in tech, but has some restrictions to keep the competition high, and to keep the costs down. SuperGT cars are just CF silhouettes on a dolled up body shell that only resembles a road car.
rv65

Re: News and Rumors Open Thread

Postby rv65 » 18 Aug 2010 07:11

BestCar Magazine is quite accurate when it comes to new car scoops and rumors like this.
rv65

Postby rv65 » 19 Aug 2010 00:13

Maybe these bestCar rumors have some truth to them, just like the Portugese and Spanish rumors about VW joining the WRC. VW could have changed their mind. VW doesn't want two brands doing the same thing, such as VW being in the WRC, and Skoda in the IRC. Skoda is only doing what VW allows and wants them to do. VW is only tolerating it, but Kris Nissen, and his cronies will probably find a way to force Skoda to pull out of the IRC. I'm sure VW is examining the IRC situation between Skoda and Peugeot. I want Skoda to succeed in the IRC, which they have, and I don't want VW to eliminate their IRC program, just so that they can enter in the WRC.
rv65

Postby rv65 » 19 Aug 2010 18:24

http://www.rallye-magazin.de/top/topnew ... index.html

It sounds like I've proven ChrisB wrong. VW is definitely working on a WRC program, but for 2013 and not 2012. Kris Nissen is happy that Mini is joining the WRC, and maybe that has motivated them to join the WRC. Kris Nissen will work with Mr. Hrabanek to ensure that Skoda can't compete them directly. So I could see Skoda in the IRC, and VW in the WRC. I'm sure the Skoda will be more competitive than the VW, but who knows. One of the rumors pointed out that VW would do a limited season in 2012, and then do a full season in 2013. I think VW is using the Golf VII or the next gen Scirocco. The Golf VI is due for replacement in 2012. Like I said, VW's marketing department will be picking out the car, and not VW Motorsport. VW is happy with changes and that rallying is a natural progression from Dakar, and that Kris Nissen finds the WRC quite interesting.
rv65

Postby ChrisB » 19 Aug 2010 20:20

Maybe the translator is dodgy or whatever, the article says not that VW is definitely doing it, it says that they consider it, but if at all then 2013 the earliest
ChrisB

Postby rv65 » 19 Aug 2010 20:33

VW is definitely working on a 1.6T, that they could use in the WRC. I think Skoda will be the first to use the new 1.6T in the Fabia.
rv65

Postby rv65 » 20 Aug 2010 01:45

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86007

P-G Andersson is now targeting a works seat, and he is looking at Mini and Ford.
rv65

Postby rv65 » 21 Aug 2010 23:38

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/VW-Race-Touareg-3.html

VW just debuted the Race Touareg 3, a slightly improved version of the successful Race Touareg 2. 2013 does sound more realistic if VW wants to do the WRC.
rv65

Postby rv65 » 23 Aug 2010 03:00

Kimi said that it isn't likely for him to make a F1 comeback, though he is considering LeMans, with either Peugeot or Audi.
rv65

Postby rv65 » 23 Aug 2010 22:01

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86038

Kris Nissen definitely wants more competition in the Dakar, but his own team is competing with each other. I wished Peterhansel won, because X-Raid is a tiny outfit that can build a good Raid vehicle, while VW spends all this money on nothing. I'm not the biggest Dakar fan though. I do think Al-Attiyah should have won, as he really deserved it. The Dakar in my country had some of the worst TV coverage of any motorsport event, and I ended up watching it on Youtube, as I don't have to have that Versus commentator.

VW is still interested in the WRC, but will likely not join. It depends though. Kris Nissen likes to change his mind every so often.
rv65

Postby Sulland » 25 Aug 2010 18:20

SAAB has also talked to FIA on a possible rally return, and the Spyker chairman and also the Russian Finance man behind Spyker is a rally enthusiast - so we can only hope for a SAAB 9-1 or 9-2 rallycar. If they will come with a 1600 T engine for the road, they could make both a R3T first and a WRC second !
Sulland

Postby rv65 » 25 Aug 2010 21:13

http://totalrally.com/news.php

We all have to respect the old days, for what they are. At least they, admit that the WRC is a 9-5 day job.
rv65

Postby M4dmike » 25 Aug 2010 23:23

readin that i find myself agreeing wholeheartedly with the colum on wrc event changes, but making the perfect event is not really any good unless the coverage is there. i mean the website was almost blank, 6 or 7 lines every 2 stages is just not enough. and the tv coverage of the pirelli logo on the front of a car as opposed to the damage on the back of the car is not good coverage. all in all i was very dissapointed with the coverage that was supposed to be live updates
M4dmike

Postby AndyRAC » 26 Aug 2010 08:17

rv65 wrote:http://totalrally.com/news.php

We all have to respect the old days, for what they are. At least they, admit that the WRC is a 9-5 day job.

Quite agree. Some events are suited to the cloverleaf format, I have no problem with that. However, some need to be different, to give an event/Championship a character. I just wonder how brave are event organisers - we've had 10 years of the current format. Who will want to change? With no Safari or Monte - there is only GB left of the 'classic Endurance' events. Can you imagine them making it a full 4 day event?
AndyRAC

Postby rv65 » 27 Aug 2010 09:30

Ford should have their Fiesta WRC ready, and Dani Sordo is looking at joining Ford. I guess Dani doesn't want to be Seb/Seb2's whipping boy.
rv65

Postby rv65 » 27 Aug 2010 19:08

http://wrc.com/news/volkswagen-more%A0t ... ?fid=13558

VW is still more interested than ever, in regards to the WRC. VW is now looking at the Polo, Golf, and Scirocco; however, I expect the VW marketing department to decide what base car they are going to use and not Kris Nissen and his team in Hanover. The Golf is due for replacement in a couple of years, so a Scirocco II or a Golf VII would make a good rally car, but VW could use the Polo.
rv65

Postby rv65 » 27 Aug 2010 20:24

http://www.rallybuzz.com/toyota-vw-wrc-meetings/

Toyota wants to do 5 or 6 rallies in 2012, and then do a full season in 2013. VW and Toyota held a meeting with the FIA. Malcolm Wilson and Olivier Quesnel were likely there to discuss about rallying to Toyota and VW. Toyota and VW wanted to know what base car would be ideal for the WRC. VW's marketing department will likely ignore Nissen's preferred base car, and pick something that they would like to see. VW is a marketing oriented company. I think Toyota would do well in the WRC, probably better than that VW team. Toyota has a ton of money, so they could easily outspend Ford and Citroen combined. Toyota might not use the FT-86, as they want to start rallying in 2012. The FT-86 road car won't be launched until the end of 2011 or 2012, making it tight. Then again, Toyota has considered the Auris, and I've seen some interesting rumors in the past.
rv65

Postby rv65 » 28 Aug 2010 09:21

http://wrc.com/news/features/more-big~n ... ?fid=13559

Toyota might use the Yaris, which could be the 206 of the new S2000 based WRCar formula; however, the Yaris is due for replacement soon, and they might make it bigger, which would make it better. The Auris might be too heavy to use in the WRC, but I've heard that kit car engineers are really good at taking weight out. Infact, current WRCars have extra weight added to them, but who knows. The FT-86 wasn't mentioned in any of the recent Toyota rumors. I guess Subaru might use that Cosworth 1.6T for track racing and not the WRC.

I still don't know why VW is taking so long, but I guess they are waiting for something. VW said that they would have to build a team from scratch. If Toyota can do it in less time, then VW should have much difficulty in making a WRC department. I'm sure VW will use that small building in Hanover, but on Google Maps, they must have moved to another area, or have they not?
rv65

Postby rv65 » 28 Aug 2010 09:55

http://www.maxrally.com/features/entry/ ... r_the_wrc/

More information on potential manufacturers. Mini is definitely confirmed, but Toyota, Saab, and VW are likely. Suzuki still thinks they can do a WRC program. Suzuki will probably be the laughing stock, if they come back and this will never change. Hyundai should continue on supporting Soccer, and Suzuki should probably do something like that. Suzuki does compete in the Pikes Peak Hill climb, and should probably stick at that, since there really isn't that much competition. Not sure if Subaru is coming back if Toyota is to join the WRC. Toyota owns a large stake in FHI, and it could allow Toyota to not let them compete in the WRC. As long as Suzuki and Hyundai don't join the WRC, the WRC is getting there, but they should have done this a 3-4 years ago.

Yes this thread sounds like a monologue, but there is so much breaking news on new manufacturers.
rv65

Postby rv65 » 29 Aug 2010 19:46

The Toyota WRC program is all but final. Toyota will probably make an announcement in October. Toyota just needs the approval from Japan to make this program a reality.

More rumors are pointing out that Toyota will use a Yaris for the WRC, and not the Auris. The Yaris will need a waiver, but the next generation Yaris might be the car. The next gen Yaris will be bigger, which will make it perfect for WRC. The Yaris is too short for the S2000 based WRC formula, but a waiver isn't the right solution. The S2000 formula doesn't allow for physical modifications to the shell, but you can put a widebody kit, to make it wider.
rv65

Next

Return to WRC Forum