2013 Wales Rally GB

Welcome to the new Rallye-Info.com World Rally Championship forum. The archived WRC forum can still be found here.

2013 Wales Rally GB

Postby ChrisB » 07 Feb 2013 10:15

The rally is eventually leaving Cardiff and moves to Wrexham. Good move! Cardiff was from a rallying point of view nowhere, Wrexham would make it as easy to visit Lake District, Kielder, Scottish borders, English parks as South Wales! But let me guess, it's not going to happen. Well, hence the sponsor of the event. Still, good move.
ChrisB

Re: 2013 Wales Rally GB

Postby rv65 » 11 Feb 2013 17:35

There were even plans to move the rally to Harrogate or even Sunderland, but those plans fell through.
rv65

Postby AndyRAC » 12 Feb 2013 16:34

Hmm, the plans fell through. How convenient.....

This year has to be a massive success, or that's it. The FiA will drop it. Are IMS capable of delivering? Their track record suggests not.
AndyRAC

Postby ChrisB » 05 Mar 2013 21:39

AndyRAC wrote:Are IMS capable of delivering? Their track record suggests not.

I hope so, it would be a big shame to have GB in no main series. But I don't have much confidence in IMS. When they ran IRC Scotland they had the chance to do a proper rallye. No, they did an 11 stages rally and wondered why no driver or spectator came for such little on offer. When then the WRC round was in November and had a lack of entries they said the event was too close to IRC GB round and to Roger Albert Clark Rally, so the entries were devided into 3 events. Next year we had a late summer date for WRC GB and the lack of entries was because of people had ongoing programs, they need an end of season date. I used to be a big fan of rallying in GB, but how can you trust an organiser who twists excuses like that rather than do a real research? It's like those Green Party fanatics, it's so much sun because of global warming, it rains so much because of global warming, we will never have white christmas again because of global warming, now we had so much snow since 5 months because of global warming... Yeah right!
ChrisB

Postby rv65 » 05 Apr 2013 16:46

Rally GB will have some interesting stages this year. The route is still being worked on, so things can change. This time, the stages will be more spectator friendly and to get more people interested in this event. The event will start on November 14! I believe they are going to a route closer to the late 90's version as some of these stages have not been used in a while.

Rally GB 2013 will start on Thursday at Conwy Castle with some stages run in the dark. These new stages will be near the Welsh/English border and should be within an hour to 90 minutes from population centers such as Liverpool, Manchester, and Birmingham. Great Orme will not run on Thursday, due to safety concerns but will run on November 17, the final day, possibly as a power stage!

Just some info on Rally GB! I think it might be screwed up in one way or another, but it looks promising so far. Still not a true RAC rally, but a lot of the good stages end up becoming mountain bike centers!
rv65

Return to WRC Forum