Mitsubishi Lancer Evo/WRC thread

The archived old Mitsubishi forum can still be found here.

Re: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo/WRC thread

Postby ChrisB » 10 Sep 2010 14:16

OK, my attempt to add some interesting history.

That is not even a bad price for KP51 RWL. KP51 RWL is a bit of a weird case. Ralli Art readied 3 cars for the start of the 2002 season, the first 3 Lancer WRCs carrying reg plates to the new British system (in order of reg plates):
KP51 RWL = C006
KP51 RWN = C008
KP51 RWO = C007
RWL/C006 only started one WRC events, but that still makes it a works car, suspectedly a little worn one. Alister started Monte with RWL (finishing a low 14th) alongside Francois Delecour in RWO. From Sweden Alister had RWN and RWL was never seen again.

C001 - C005 were still under the old reg system, which leads to TWRC's question:

TWRC wrote:As I could see the top of the characters on the plate, it may be KS51 XPN, but dunno...
Another question: Why stopped Ralliart running the Y() MMR-plated cars after 2001? The Y4 and Y5 attended Sweden and Y7 maybe saw 3 rallies, but what about Y2 and Y9? They demolished them? Or they got a new plate afterwards? Thx for the answers ;)

You mean why they stopped running these cars, or using Y-plates on their cars? Running the cars obviously because the cars were gettijng older and they kept building new cars. The Y-reg cars I haven't seen them again, but Mitsubishi was one of the teams not doing reg plate swapping, so it is highly unlikely they were registered to the new plates (and in fact provable by chassis numbers, as the chassis numbers disappeared from the WRC stages together with the reg plates).

So if your question was on the usage of Y-regs, here a history lesson on the British reg system. The British have a reg system with numbers never repeated/re-used. There is a year ident in a single letter, with for some reason the Z not allocated as a letter of year. In 1983 they changed from the letter of the year being a Y at the end of the plate to an A at the beginning of the plate. In 2001 we again reached Y and to not re-use old plates, the British introduced an all new reg system with now the numbers being the year ident, also devided in seasons with winter season having 50 added, giving us a system that lasts 50 years. The KP51 plate means KM-KY (again no Z, even though it appears in other places in the reg plates) is for Northampton, nearest reg office for Rugby. The 51 identifies a car first registered between 1st September 2001 and 28th February 2002. I.e. later the KU02 HJZ plate, KU02 means first registered in Northampton district between 1st March 2002 & 31st August 2002. Since 1st September just gone now we have 60 plates.

You can backdate plates and you can have personalised plates that you can swap between cars, which is games Subaru/Prodrive did i.e. with the 555 plates or the C1 WRC Impreza, but not Mitsubishi. Their plates often showed interesting abbreviations, but were accurate to the first reg date of the car. I.e. ex 2000 Loix car V22 MMR is a car still seen in UK today. When the first Lancer WRCs came, it happened to be the Y-year, and when the car came into its first full season, UK happened to have a new reg system, so the loss of the old Y-style plates on works Mitsus is as simple as that.

The Y-reg cars were very interesting, I think that too. It were the first Lancer WRCs, and they also showed superbly how Mitsubishi treated their drivers. To my mind Mitsubishi did the mistake to build their team too much around one driver. They even competed for the drivers championship miore than the makes one, which to my mind (being strangely more a fan of the makes title) is a big mistake. Tommi Mäkinen was the driver the entire team worked around, and when Tommi left he won his 1st rally for Subaru and Mitsubishi lost all their title credits over night. The car was developed for Tommi, Tommi did all the tests, all the set up work, Loix and Burns had to take it, eat or die, never mind Tommi had a different driving style. As a result, when Tommi left, never mind the driver, Mitsubishi was a mess. Maybe they came too late with the WRCar, but I doubt their first WRCar was slower than all the groupA Lancers before. It was a Tommi team, and without Tommi, they fell into a deep hole before they could reshuffle themselves.

To the Y-reg cars:

tests/show
Y2 MMR (C001)
Y4 MMR (C002)

1st rally San Remo
Y4 MMR (C002) Loix
Y5 MMR (C003) Mäkinen
- Hence new car for Mäkinen, while Loix got a test car that only 1 week before the rally you could still touch and play with at the Frankfurt IAA motor show.

2nd rally Tour de Corse
Y4 MMR (C002) Loix
Y5 MMR (C003) Mäkinen
- Same cars as San Remo, Mäkinen had a massive crash that hospitalised Risto Mannisenmäki. I think we can for sure say Y5=C003 has ended in the crusher.

3rd rally Australia
Y4 MMR (C002) Loix
Y7 MMR (C004) Mäkinen

4th rally GB, last round of 2001
Y4 MMR (C002) Loix
Y9 MMR (C005) Mäkinen
- See, while Mäkinen got a new car basically every rally, Loix had to start every rally with the same old car that was not even new on its first event.

5th rally Monte 2002:
KP51 RWL (C006) Alister McRae
KP51 RWO (C007) Francois Delecour
- new season, new drivers, and by coincidence a new British reg system.

I could carry on (and hopefully our database includes reg numbers soon, so you can follow it up easier). But Mitsubishi kept producing new cars. By Finland late summer 02 we already had up to chassis number 15, so naturally C001-C005 found less and less use in the works team. Beyond 2001:
Y2 MMR (C001) was never used for competition
Y4 MMR (C002) was used by occasional 3rd driver Jani Paasonen in Sweden & Cyprus 02
Y5 MMR (C003) most likely written off in Corsica 2001
Y7 MMR (C004) Paasonen Finland 02
Y9 MMR (C005) Delecour Sweden 02
reg numbers Y1, Y3, Y6 & Y8 MMR were never allocated to rally cars.

For the meaning of older plates you can also check the last paragraph of this story: http://www.rallye-info.com/carmake_profile.asp?make=10
ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » 10 Sep 2010 14:38

Maybe a couple further notes:

"The Y4 and Y5 attended Sweden and Y7 maybe saw 3 rallies, but what about Y2 and Y9?"

Maybe check your information again, maybe on photos, or whatever source you had. I am sure in Sweden 02 Delecour drove Y9 and not Y5. I would find it very surprising if Y5 was repaired after that Corsica crash, it also would give you an answer about Y9 actually having been used in 2002.

The only one left then would be Y2, but this being a test car, it never started in competition, which is not that unusual for other manufacturers too. See i.e. the 307 WRC, 18 were built, C017 & C018 were not finished before one of the many strange FIA rule changes preventing them to be used, and they had no less that 3 test cars: 966, 970 & 976 PPQ 75, none of them ever seen in competition - in fact 966 & 970 not even having a chassis number! Similar can be seen at Subaru and other teams, i.e. have you ever seen new van style Impreza WRCs OU56 ECX & CT08 WRC on the rally stages? So why not the same with Mitsubishi Y2 MMR /C001.

"By Finland late summer 02 we already had up to chassis number 15, so naturally C001-C005 found less and less use in the works team."

Just to avoid confusion in case someone checks all the Mitsu starts. Indeed the cars in Finland were "only" C011 & C012, however by the way the British reg systems works, the later chassis numbers as C015 = KR02 DLX were already road registered at that point! Probably even more were in the process of being built, as interestingly C016 = KN52 XBB & C017 = KN52 XBC did not appear on a rally until a whole year later, when Mitsubishi had long slimmed down their program, these two cars were the last 1st generation Lancer WRC (Step2) built and only ever competed in one rally as a works car.
ChrisB

Postby TWRC » 10 Sep 2010 17:27

ChrisB wrote:Maybe a couple further notes:

"The Y4 and Y5 attended Sweden and Y7 maybe saw 3 rallies, but what about Y2 and Y9?"

Maybe check your information again, maybe on photos, or whatever source you had. I am sure in Sweden 02 Delecour drove Y9 and not Y5. I would find it very surprising if Y5 was repaired after that Corsica crash, it also would give you an answer about Y9 actually having been used in 2002.

The only one left then would be Y2, but this being a test car, it never started in competition, which is not that unusual for other manufacturers too. See i.e. the 307 WRC, 18 were built, C017 & C018 were not finished before one of the many strange FIA rule changes preventing them to be used, and they had no less that 3 test cars: 966, 970 & 976 PPQ 75, none of them ever seen in competition - in fact 966 & 970 not even having a chassis number! Similar can be seen at Subaru and other teams, i.e. have you ever seen new van style Impreza WRCs OU56 ECX & CT08 WRC on the rally stages? So why not the same with Mitsubishi Y2 MMR /C001.

"By Finland late summer 02 we already had up to chassis number 15, so naturally C001-C005 found less and less use in the works team."

Just to avoid confusion in case someone checks all the Mitsu starts. Indeed the cars in Finland were "only" C011 & C012, however by the way the British reg systems works, the later chassis numbers as C015 = KR02 DLX were already road registered at that point! Probably even more were in the process of being built, as interestingly C016 = KN52 XBB & C017 = KN52 XBC did not appear on a rally until a whole year later, when Mitsubishi had long slimmed down their program, these two cars were the last 1st generation Lancer WRC (Step2) built and only ever competed in one rally as a works car.

Thanks for the extended reply, that's what I was looking for. I was quite sure it was Y5, but you're right. I was surprised that they built it up again, but it seems like I saw it bad. ;)
Last edited by TWRC on 10 Mar 2011 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
TWRC

Postby kolkie » 08 Nov 2010 10:48

I wonder if this is the last thing we will see from KR53 YPP

kolkie

Postby rv65 » 12 Dec 2010 10:57

KP51 RWL is now for sale according to rallycarsforsale.net
rv65

Postby TWRC » 02 Apr 2011 10:36

KX53 BKO is alive as well, Melicharek is riding with it in Eger this weekend.
TWRC

Postby TWRC » 20 Jul 2011 22:59

It seems like the activity is a bit decreasing here :D But as always, Lancers can get out of nowhere: Tomasz Kuchar has a fairly ex-works looking and sounding Evo V this year, but dunno where he got it if it's really a V, not a 6.5 with different bumper and spoiler. Oh, and it also has seqential gearbox.
Pics:
http://www.ewrc.cz/images/2011/mcr/vysocina/pe_a_31_kuchar_2.jpg
http://www.ewrc.cz/images/2011/mcr/vysocina/pe_a_31_kuchar_1.jpg
http://www.kuchar.net/galeria/prasa/11_lotos/QHR_Lotos_2011_02.jpg
http://kuchar.net/galeria/2011/01_lotos/Niechwiadowicz/021.jpg
And videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmXILzE7VAU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUG6QgJDQfQ&feature=related
TWRC

Postby TWRC » 30 Mar 2012 14:24

Well, I think noone's going to be here anymore to read this, but at the Bulldog Rally another Lancer rose from the "death": KX53 BFV is still kicking, so it seems like MML still has plenty of old chassis in store!
Pic:
Edit: and it's even in 04 spec, at least it looks like it is:
TWRC

Postby kolkie » 19 May 2012 18:35

TWRC wrote:KX53 BKO is alive as well, Melicharek is riding with it in Eger this weekend.

And as always it's a bit of a slut ;) , being used by more then 1 driver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=iPc ... =endscreen
kolkie

Postby TWRC » 12 Aug 2012 16:33

After its crash in Hungary 3 years ago, KN04 WMC has returned too:
TWRC

Postby kolkie » 07 May 2013 16:46

Well it seems KX53 BKO can be considered as exterminated. This Canadian chap (5 times champ) seems to effectively have destroyed it :(
https://www.facebook.com/AntoineLEstageRallye

at its first rally oversees:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?f ... =3&theater

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPhjpv93kes

I would be surprised if that is going to be 'buffed out'. Luckely the drivers were ok :) .
kolkie

Postby rv65 » 17 Jan 2020 14:20

https://mitsubishiwrcars.blogspot.com/2 ... 5-mmr.html

Y5 MMR was actually a show car in 2002
rv65

Previous

Return to Mitsubishi Forum